Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Let It Begin!


Welcome to the first day of 2008 and the beginning of your Year of Reading Dangerously! Heather and I are thrilled that so many people have signed up already, and we're looking forward to the discussion to come.

First, a few reminders and clarifications:

1. You can read any 12 "Dangerous" books, the 12 we've chosen, or a mixture of the two to complete the 2008 Year of Reading Dangerously Challenge.

2. We will set up space for you to report in with your links to reviews and thoughts on the books you read by month (look for the January post to appear soon).

3. If you discuss the official book of the month with us, you're automatically entered into a drawing for the month's prizes.

4. We will set up posts with varying discussion questions throughout the month. Feel free to discuss at your own pace in the comments sections.

5. You may read ahead for months to come or read a chosen books only within the month it's chosen for. It's up to you.

6. Latecomers may join at any time! Just go below to add your name/link to Mr. Linky.

I've been steadily visiting everyone's blog that's joined the challenge, and I've enjoyed meeting everyone. In the spirit of community, consider posting an introduction in the comments section of this post, so we can all get to know each other a little better!
Be sure to check back here often for prize, question, and other updates!

Happy 2008 everyone, and good luck!

Andi

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm Kristy from http://kristy-justanotherblogger.blogspot.com/

I'll be reading The Scarlet Letter. It's my Classic Clubs January pick. I've tried reading Great Expectations before and was unsuccessful. Maybe someday. The Scarlet Letter is a shorter book which is just what I need for January.

AAWG said...

Hello - I am Liz from
http://myothercar.blogspot.com/

I am 1/2 way through Great Expectations. It is a lot longer than I remember it being in High School, but at least this time I am consciously reading it!

Estella said...

Hi everyone! I'm Heather, the other half of the editor duo at Estella's Revenge and owner of A High and Hidden Place. I'm reading Great Expectations and it's probably the fifth attempt. Luckily, fifth time seems to be the charm as I am ALMOST finished with it. I'm excited to discuss it with all of you!

Andi said...

Ooh, Kristy, The Scarlet Letter is a great book! One I would've liked to include in the challenge, as a matter of fact, but there were only 12 months. lol I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Hi, Liz! It's longer than I remember, too! In fact, we may have read an abridged version. But I'm enjoying it.

Rock on, Heatheroo!!!

Heather said...

Maybe next year Andi ;) The Scarlet Letter is one of my all-time-faves.

I hate abridged books. I think is sacreligious. LOL

I'm SO close the end of GE. I can't wait to get there. I'm starting to like Pip now, so it makes the going much easier. I was not much impressed with him for the first half of the book.

Andi said...

Heatheroo, I'm glad to hear that you're gonna get through this one. I know it's been a struggle for you over the years. How about that Miss Havisham? She's a hoot, eh? :D

Heather said...

I looooove Miss Havisham! She is something else.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!

This Alicia (Ali for short) and I'm just happy to be amongst you and have the chance to read and discuss books together.
I look forward to all your thoughts.
I'm really enjoying GE, more than I thought I would.
I should finish it this weekend.
I made a post on my blog about my experience reading the book so far. And found a great drawing of Miss Havisham!

Anonymous said...

I read Great Expectations for my Eng Lit in last year of school. Does re-reading count?

Andi said...

Sure! Re-reading is fine. I'm doing the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow booky people! I'm Cass from http://antipodeanowl.blogspot.com/

I've just got my first lil' reading blog off the ground, and am really excited to be jumping into my first reading challenge! I sound like a total newbie don't I?!

I really dig the list of titles, the only one I have already read is Dickens, so I'll definitely be sticking with official list.

I plan to solve my having already read Dickens multiple times by re-reading Peter Carey's 'Jack Maggs', which is a reworking of GE and a really fantastic read!

Andi said...

Welcome, Cass! I hope you enjoy the site and have fun discussing with us! It's been great visiting everyone's blogs thus far. Can't wait to take a look at yours!

Andi

Anonymous said...

Hi! I think I'll be a late signer-upper! what are the 12 books that you are reading? Hmm, I can probably find this elsewhere on your blog...silly me.

Anonymous said...

I've finally settled on my list:
http://logophilia-logophile.blogspot.com/2008/01/reading-dangerous-and-chunky-books.html
I've tweaked the suggested titles slightly, but not too much as I'm looking forward to participating in the discussion questions!
Hope everyone's enjoying the challenge so far,
Logophile